Re: power/desire/F&G

Chad,

two other sources -- mini-readings, actually -- would be

Baudrillard, Forget Foucault....
Despite the polemical title, this seems to me one of the best (most
provocative, illuminating) readings of Foucault. Contrary to the title, it
isnt at all dismissive, and it apparently rattled F's chains a bit. In its
efforts to situate F's analyses in re 'our' surveillence/panoptical
society, or in other words saying, All well and good, but arent we into
some new moment of history?, B's analyses here can be juxtaposed with D's
on "The Society of Control" (which can be found in D's Negotiations).

Spivak, Outside in the Teaching Machine....... chapters 2-3 in particular,
lpus some of the comments in the opening interview.

Spivak's point is that D&G "substitute" the concept/problematic of
"desire" for that of "Value" in Marx, and "power" in Foucault. Come to
think of it, Spivak's work here has more to do with D&G's relation to Marx,
and more implicitly, to Althusser. But its certainly one of the more
interesting takes on desire in D&G....makes them seem less romantic, and a
bit more sociological; and it points to a subtext in the D&G of
Anti-Oedipus, namely, those first sections of Capital, where Marx talks
about how/why certain "labors" get socialized or coded and made generally
equivalent to something else.

At 09:13 AM 7/20/98 EDT, you wrote:
>Chris,
> You mentioned writings by Deleuze on Foucault (in which he calls him
>Michel). In particular, I am in need of really engaging the distinction
>between D&G's use of desire and Foucault's use of power. Could you fill me in
>on how to find these writings? Any other suggestions?
> Thanks,
> Chad

Daniel Vukovich
English; Unit for Criticism and Interpretive Theory