Re: minor question

On Wed, 2 Sep 1998, Stuart Elden wrote:

> Isn't Foucault's point that ordered rest (leisure) is the requirement but
> that unordered rest (idleness) is the deviation. Old age - the thing
> Foucault is talking about - especially in rest homes, is hardly leisure, and
> is therefore unproductive, and therefore deviation.

Well, I trekked off to the not-so-local book superstore thingamajig today,
and discovered that in Essential Works 2 the word "activity" is inserted
so that it reads "in our society where leisure activity is the rule...."
Which is clearer, and fits with what you say above.

Matthew

---Matthew A. King-----Department of Philosophy-----McMaster University---
"The border is often narrow between a permanent temptation to commit
suicide and the birth of a certain form of political consciousness."