Re: Foucauldian examinations of The Market

While Foucauldians are concerned about economics, economics is unconcerned with Foucauldians. One could say that
Foucauldians do not concern economics. Perhaps this is because no real threat is posed to economics by Foucauldians,
though a threat is posed to Foucauldians by economics. The issue I wish to raise, here, is the inconsequentiality of
the issues raised. Why are they inconsequential? I hold that they are inconsequential. The critical debate of the
left goes onward. Indictments of economics are published in books such as _Deconstruction and the Possibility of
Justice_, as well as the ones mentioned on this list, and it is all of no consequence. Economics, on the other hand,
seems quite consequential, even to Foucauldians. The character of our lives -- markets for intellectual labor and the
availability of grant monies in particular -- are influenced heavily be economic considerations. It offends one's
intelligence even to say that much, so obvious it is. Why is the situation so starkly onesided? And what is the value
of engaging in a discussion which seems to be of so little consequence?

Wynship