Re: Foucauldian examinations of The Market

Just out of curiousity, and because I am puzzled by the particular
example, does not Foucault in Words and Things raise exactly this issue of
analogy in his treatment of biology, economics and linguistics all
requiring the idea of life as necessary preconditions for their
possibility? This is not to say, of course, that I disagree with the
general tenor of your post. Rather, it seems to me that within particular
epistemes crosstalk between discursive formations is quite normal and
inevitable. Or am I misunderstanding Foucault's point in Words and Things?

Thanks,
Walt Stein (been lurking unconscionably for a year or two, decided to come
out when I had something to say).

At 05:45 PM 9/7/98 +1200, you wrote:

>Certainly if the connection is by way of analogy, I think it is very
>dubious, and yet it is common. The biologists' notion of evolution has
>been applied to economics, with in my opinion disastrous results,
>Nesta

"Clinton's crimes are incestuous: He makes the whole world his family and
then seduces and pollutes it, person by person"--Paglia