Re: Foucauldian examinations of The Market

Sam,

Thanks for clearing that up. It's been five or six years since I've read it. You're right that I
misstated any conscious involvement of the bourgeois class in their self-interest, and calling it an
ideology makes it sound like they were out to deceive, rather than the deployment occurring
autochthonously. I had forgotten that this is geneaology, not psychoanalysis, and structualism, not
critical theory. On the other hand, this form of consciousness did arise with the bourgeois class (see
the second to last section). And ideology can also mean one ideology among others, with none of them
being the true consciousness shared by the privilaged few. Terry Eagleton, who is out here at Notre
Dame, criticises post-structualists notions of ideology for just being that second kind.

Wynship