Re: decadent soldier sleeps in the field

je:

I think 'decadence' is a falling off, and I connect it with 'cadence'.
in music, particularly, I don't know why, with a falling cadence... My
dictionary links it to the word 'decay' but that doesn't feel right as
an etymological source to me, although it is o.k. as a meaning. I don't
think your decadent soldier is decaying, not yet. But he may have fallen
( over, from grace)... Or rather, he should be in the process of
falling. Is this kind of definition what you are looking for?

Nesta