Give Me A Bourgeois Humanist, Please!

> Yes yes, I have to agree with these posts. I mean, How many of us have
> ever been harmed in any way by General Pinochet? In fact, I have it on
> good authority that he is in fact a rather kindly, gentle old man. I also
> hear the same things about Botha and De Clerk, and, again, I wonder just
> how many of us on this list have ever been directly wronged by these men.
>
> Plus, Chile is clearly a democratic country now, and may in the near
> future be as prosperous and as free as us North Americans. Let sleping
> dogs lie. Clearly the extremists -- no doubt Puritanical Leftists -- in
> Spain and elsewhere are unaware of their own bloodlust.
>
> Justice, like Truth, is but a mobile army of metaphors. Surely we all know
> this, and surely we can all agree that -- therefore -- politics should be
> kept separate from this concept-metaphor, at least politics in a social,
> institutional sense. Dont we all realize how inherently dangerous, if not
> evil, it is to actually try to put into practice ideas or values like
> Justice? Mixing politics and justice is a recipe for the Gulag, esp if you
> throw some Hegel into the mix.

The interesting question here is whether this is a deliberate or an unwitting
parody of where this fine Nietzschian line of reasoning takes us -- ignoring
the actual Gulag and its executioners in the name of avoiding the theoretical
Gulag. It makes one want to run wildly in the direction of the nearest
humanist spouting universal values.

Leo Casey