Re: request

According to Norman Malcolm's little monograph,
Wittgenstein kept Augustine's Confessions by his bed as an
antidote to "dark night of the soul." It wouldn't work for me, but it=20
has always impressed me that he must have found something in there.

I prefer the Tibetan Book of Living and Dying. Weird but embracing=20
somehow. Or poetry by William Stafford, Rumi, Rilke=C9

But of course the experts now=20
advocate Prozac, Paxil or=20
something of that genre.

Kindest regards,
Henry Sholar

On Wed, 18 Nov 1998 20:13:10 -0500 noplace@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> this may be unorthodox--apologies in advance if this annoys anyone.
>=20
> I have a friend who is hurting, who feels alone, who is being pushed on
> all sides--a kind soul in need of help. I want to send her something to =
help
> lift her up a little. what collection of words would be a match for such=
> task? I've been thinking and thinking ... of the most
> inspirational, vital, beautiful book in the world; appropriate to all
> times, timeless, yet timely.
>=20
> I thought maybe the kind people of this list would be in a position to
> provide suggestions from experience. Maybe others could share the joy
> they have had with a text, and by doing so help me help my dear friend.
>=20
>=20
> with good wishes,
> Jay