Re: request

For solace, I have for many (six or so) years found Stephen Mitchell's smal=
anthologies "The Enlightened Heart" and "The Enlightened Mind" to be nice
intersections of his and others' translations of snippets from the kinder
past and present. His translations are generous and continuous with a
subjectivity seeking some sort of respite from what I too often think of as
this death machine. His selections (from a lot of everywhere and time) are
thoughtful and not embarrassing.

If your friend has time, there's always a slow spiral through Leaves of
Grass.

These have helped and continue to help me navigate pain's wake/whatever
without feeling too much like a new age acolyte, if that makes sense.

>this may be unorthodox--apologies in advance if this annoys anyone.
>
>I have a friend who is hurting, who feels alone, who is being pushed on
>all sides--a kind soul in need of help. I want to send her something to h=
elp
>lift her up a little. what collection of words would be a match for such =
>task? I've been thinking and thinking ... of the most
>inspirational, vital, beautiful book in the world; appropriate to all
>times, timeless, yet timely.
>
>I thought maybe the kind people of this list would be in a position to
>provide suggestions from experience. Maybe others could share the joy
>they have had with a text, and by doing so help me help my dear friend.
>

>with good wishes,
>Jay

To get random signatures put text files into a folder called =B3Random
Signatures=B2 into your Preferences folder.