RE: disappeared

Matthew,

You are quite rude. I've been reading your posts over the last little
while and I think your hostility is uncalled for. The U.S. has
continued to support right-wing dictatorships, it's not simply a cold
war phenomenon. While I can't give you a Faulcaudian answer, I can tell
you that the U.S. is not held accountable for its interventionist policy
toward Chile, and many many other countries because, however
contentious, U.S. retains its hegemonic position within the global world
order. It maintains controlling interest in the IMF/World Bank, It
maintains its leverage in every meeting of GATT (now the WTO), the UN
and NATO. From a global political economy perspective, it should be
quite obvious why the U.S. remains "unchastened" for all of its many
crimes throughout the post WWII era. I don't think this is a wise-ass
response, and I think you should simmer down.

April

>April,
>
>Yes, you are right Johnson used the quote in question to describe
>Battista and not Pinochet. Battista was Johnson's contemporary;
>Pinochet was a Nixon-era creation. My point, clear enough, was that
>Johnson's statement summed up with brutal clarity the U.S. attitude
>toward friendly right-wing dictatorships during the Cold War period.
>That, is why I said "would have put it," rather than "said of
Pinochet;"