Re: R: R: Was Foucault a nihilist?

Thanks, Henry Sholar.

I'm an outsider to academia--a member of the nihilistic elite, I guess one
might say. I'm listening in to the listserv as a crash course in Foucault.
What's the alternative to skepticism? A lockstep cult? Unlimited self-
indulgence--certainly the panacea of choice in the Brave New World? Educated
moderns listen to so many aesthetic songs and dances, but the ending is
always the same--now it's time to pay the piper. My belief system is fairly
rag tagged, and I admit it; what interests me is that the "intelligentsia,"
who want to correct my errors and evil ways are the most viciously and
irrationally dogmatic of all. I'm old enough to remember secular liberal
humanism and to regret the passing of tolerance as an ideal.

In a message dated 1/11/99 7:15:39 AM Central Standard Time, hwsholar@xxxxxxxx