re: commentary is a minstral show

Well, I don't think a community is "defined by shared beliefs."
I think a community is of a group which has shared cultural practices,
some of which may be "beliefs" but most are practical skills that
enable shared coping and caring (of the environment & of others) in the
community. Most are unarticulated, even transparent to the members of
the community.

To doubt, or even to challenge cultural practices most often does not
"drain" the shared life of the community. Most often they are ignored.
Sometimes they are accepted and amalgamated-- interpreted by the
culture. Works of art, political movements, and even consumer products
are simple ways that communities embrace new interps, ways they change.

These challenges (or simple cultural re-interpretations) reveal also
that communities are not composed of fixed frameworks like grammatical
rules. The stability of communities is a much looser, intuited
membership. Perhaps the ability to be flexible is one way of measuring
the health of a community, ie, those that are open and flexible are
much healthier than those which call for rigid and alledgedly
unalterable cultural practices.

is this the kind of "commentary" you're looking for?
kindest regards,
henry sholar