re: Foucault and Structuralism

Stuart, thanks! =20

On another level of description, I find Foucault=20
mastering a method (structuralism) that proved inadequate to his style=20
and approach to important philosophical issues: F was drawn to=20
problems of history; wary of human 'science'; robustily progressive=20
politically & seemed more than a little disgusted with academia most of=20
the time. I'm inclined to believe that he utilized a structuralist=20
method and then made it his own. Perhaps the method melted into=20
rhetorical device as he found his voice, his originality, in=20
archaeological investigation.

For example, in _Arch of Knowl_ I have noticed his voice of=20
negative description ("my point is NOT this or this or this or this=C9"=20
and on and on). I think this is a practice that could come from=20
structualist approaches to investigations. Ceaselessly diagnosing=20
oppositions.

I would be interested in hearing your impressions of his style, voice=20
and method, particularly since you read him in the original (nez pah?).

I haven't seriously studied the texts in sometime but I have a feeling=20
that i am about to get back in.

Thanks again,
henry

henry sholar