Foucault and Structuralism

Would it be totally turnip-witted to suggest that post-sructuralism is what
strcturalism becomes once the radical alterity of other times and places is
taken seriously? That structuralism emphasises continuity under apparent change
in a search for those patterns which are most broad and stable whereas post-
sructuralism emphasises contingency, rupture and the arbitariness of what will
seem essential to someone living at any given time and place from the
perspective of some other time and place? Structuralism emphasises what we have
in common whereas post-structuralism emphasises how much of who we are is only
possible because of the accident of when and where we were born. Structuralism
searches for the essential and post-structuralism raises the possibility that
what we think of as essential might be just how things tend to happen given
where we are.
Sincerely,
Tony Michael Roberts