Re: Butler & Nussbaum & Bad Writing

Why is Nussbaum doing this and is it part of something larger in terms
of a power struggle/shift in alliance within the University system.
That was what I feel the need to know.

---Stuart Elden <Stuart.Elden@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Joanna,
>
> Thanks for posting this. I think your 'over simplifies and misses
the point'
> is far far too generous. Nussbaum gets Butler wrong. Very wrong. Why?
>
> Either 1) she didn't understand it, but thought she did
> or 2) she did understand it, but felt better able to take on this
version
> or 3) she did understand it, but saw a virtue in misconstruing it
(so to
> make the point about bad writing stronger).
>
> Any other options?
>
> She also betrays a complete lack of knowledge of Althusser, grammar,
> structuralism, Gramsci, Foucault, etc.
>
> But I thought Nussbaum was an Aristotle scholar (and a good one).
Why is she
> getting involved?
>
> Stuart
>

> Nussbaum's
> renewed
> strategies
> time."

==
"I am no doubt not the only one who writes in order to have no face. Do not ask me who I am and do not ask me to remain the same: leave it to our bureaucrats and our police to see that our papers are in order." Michel Foucault