Re: sexual ethics

--============_-1292679974==_ma============

>Okay, okay! I'll post something!
>
>I wonder if anyone out there can recommend some reading for me. I'm based
>in the UK reading for a PhD, and I'm looking at Foucault's work on sexual
>ethics. I shall be using it to look at present day 'self-help' texts (eg
>Men are From Mars etc) I want to see what kind of ethics these books
>promote, and what kind of subject they are aiming to produce. I want to
>try to avoid a simplistic dismissal of them as being either purely
>subjugating discourses or symptomatic of the 'Californian cult of the
>self' about which Foucault was so sniffy. I also want to avoid an
>uncritical celebration of their liberatory potential, as proposed by some
>other scholars - I shall mention no names!!
>
>It seems to me that these texts must tell us something our culture because
>they are so popular and sell in such huge numbers - and here in the UK
>they have, in many instances, entered into common parlance (I expect it's
>the same elsewhere).
>

>Can anyone suggest either:
>
>any specific sections of Foucault's work I should look at (besides the
>History of Sex trilogy), or
>any particularly interesting/popular self-help books (especially those
>about relationships), or
>the work of any other theorists/scholars which might be relevant?

Rebecca,

I hope this is relevant. Anthony Giddens has said quite a bit about the
self- help literature. As I read him, and it has been a while, he ties the
emergence of self-help literature to certain changes in late-capitalist
society (and late-capitalist subjectivity). I can be more specific if you
like, but won't waste everyone's time here. See, 'Modernity and
Self-Identity: Self and Society in the late modern age"

kenneth J. gergen is also helpful, "the saturated self: dilemmas of
identity . . ." i cannot find exact title - book is at home (easy read)

>I would really appreciate any suggerstions, advice or comments.
>Thanks for helping.

Rebecca

sounds like interesting work. how about looking for something useful in
'the care of the self'? perhaps this is a *slightly* different foucault
than you had in mind though. ?

tony lack

---
--============_-1292679974==_ma============

<excerpt>Okay, okay! I'll post something!

I wonder if anyone out there can recommend some reading for me. I'm
based in the UK reading for a PhD, and I'm looking at Foucault's work
on sexual ethics. I shall be using it to look at present day
'self-help' texts (eg <italic>Men are From Mars</italic> etc) I want
[...]

</paraindent>

</excerpt>

Rebecca,

I hope this is relevant. Anthony Giddens has said quite a bit about the
self- help literature. As I read him, and it has been a while, he ties
the emergence of self-help literature to certain changes in
late-capitalist society (and late-capitalist subjectivity). I can be
more specific if you like, but won't waste everyone's time here. See,
'Modernity and Self-Identity: Self and Society in the late modern age"

kenneth J. gergen is also helpful, "the saturated self: dilemmas of
identity . . ." i cannot find exact title - book is at home (easy
read)

<excerpt>

I would really appreciate any suggerstions, advice or comments.

Thanks for helping.

</excerpt>Rebecca