+Conscience without Kosher Certificate+ (fwd)

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Wed, 5 May 1999 20:44:38 +0000
From: Conscientious Objectors Israel c/o <otherisr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: Other Information <otherisr@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: +Conscience without Kosher Certificate+

Forwarded through otherisr@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Following is a message from Tzrifin-Military Prison 4
written by 21-year old Oleg Baron, held there for the
fourth consecutive time. The military authorities'
heartless attitude to this young immigrant, member of
a religious minority, is in sharp contrast to the
ease by which they grant exemptions to literally tens
of thousands of ultra-Orthodox Yeshiva students.

I appeal for your help, having no other recourse
left.
My name is Oleg Baron. I am 21 years old.
At the age of eleven I immigrated to Israel form
the former USSR (Ukraine). I studied at the Nautical
Academy at Acre. After graduation I worked as a
life-guard until my conscription. As long as I
remember I was aware of the issue of military service,
especially since many of my relatives served in the
Red Army, some of them holding high positions. I am
Russian by nationality and Catholic by religion, and
I was raised to oppose violence - not only actual
violence but also the potential violence of
organizations and ideologies.

Nevertheless, at the time of my studies in the
Nautical Academy I was willing to serve in the army.
But after I finished my studies and began to work, I
got into contact with some pacifists. Through
discussion with them I became convinced that their
way was the only way fitting with my upbringing and
my religious beliefs, since Christian ideals are
essentially pacifist ideas. My pacifist convictions
make it impossible for me to be part of an
organization such as the IDF, an organization whose
purpose is to use violence, which would mean that I
would become part of the army's violence and
contribute to it with my own actions.

Therefore, I avoided enlisting when I was called up.
For a year I worked as a life-guard at the Dead
Sea, where I met members of Israeli and
international pacifist organizations who encouraged me
to stick to my beliefs. At their advice, I decided
to stop hiding from the military authorities, and in
November 1998 turned myself in at Bakum (Base
Camp). I tried to explain to the officers in
charge my pacifist and Christian ideals - but nobody
had the time or the will to listen to me, and I was
sentenced to 28 days in prison. After that I got two
more terms one after the other, because I continue
refusing to join the Army, and still no one is
willing to listen to my problems or help me in any
way.
Now I am in prison for the fourth time, and still
waiting for a chance to appear before the "Conscience
Committee" which they tell me should deal with my
case. I don't know how long it will take and how many
more times I will go to prison before anybody is
willing to listen.

I am asking for your help.

Best regards

Oleg Baron.

The Association of Conscientious Objectors in Israel
has taken up Oleg Baron's case, and asks your
help in calling for his release from the army and from
military service and for legal recognition of the
right to conscientious objection.

You can write letters of support to Oleg Baron
himself (Serial Nr. 6441654, Military Prison 4
-Tzrifin, Military Post 02507, Israeli Defence Forces)

Or letters of protest to Mr. Moshe Arens, Minister
of Defence, Ministry of Defence, Kaplan St., Tel
Aviv, Fax: 972-3-6916940 email sar@xxxxxxxxxx

For more details contact Assoc. of Conscientious
Objectors, POB 4090, Haifa 31040,
phone 04-8641368
mailto: gdavydov@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx