Re: to tony ralph

Ian wrote:
"Tony, what evidence do you have that tens of thousands of people have been
killed and buried? I've just come back from Albania, and its not the
information i'm receiving from refugees I talked to; but I'm eager to view
any evidence you have."

"Tens of thousands" may even be accurate or close mathematically, but I use
it here in a representative style in place of words like "horror",
"mass-murder".

Evidence is a trite academic term, the Serbians still deny any part in the
atrocities in Bosnia, they said it was the Croatians and muslims. At the
moment Serbian television reports that the Kosovo refugees are being payed
to stream across the border then return to stream back across as a
publicity stunt. All evidence is a media stunt.

After the Bosnia war, UN teams dug up mass graves of muslims next to
suspected Serbian concentration camps, another media stunt; no doubt the
Serbs stick with their claim of no concentration camps; and the UN teams
went a bit soft on the Croatian and muslim inspired grave sites, also part
of the media stunt.

Yes, even with a blackened corpse in a white polythene bag taken from a
mass unmarked grave, what have we, what does it prove? And what of the
information from the refugees you spoke to, and what of my statistical
calculation made a world away in Sydney that if one percent of the 1.5
million refugees die from this event, then 15,000 people are dead. All
meaningless evidence. Is my projections any less valid than a CNN reporter
speaking live from a war zone and regurgitating a fax sent from the US
studio which was originally a Pentagon release taken from a CNN report.

For that matter is it even a humanitarian war? As Baudrillard says, the
Gulf (and the Kosovo) War did not take place, it was just a media event.
What this may mean is that the complexities and contradictions of war are
so incomprehensible that all one can absorb is the staged media event -
which at the end of the day is the only tangible thing that survives.

Ian, you should have said: "Tony wildly postulates that ten thousand people
have been killed by the Serbs in Kosovo, and unfortunately I am unable to
obtain evidence that refutes the figure being twenty thousand."