Re: subjectivity in a networked society

Dan Check wrote:
The problem with many of the essays (for your

> purposes) is that they focus on primary, rather than post-secondary education. One
> can see how power would be more obvious and transparent in grade school than in
> college, where there oftentimes seem to be no rules. The challenge, for me, is
> finding strategies in seemingly innocuous practices, and then understanding that it
> is these mundane little things that determine my relationships with others.

One mundane little way is through the funding of the number of positions of the various
departments in postsecondary making some subjects far more accessible and interesting via
the number of courses they must service in the core versus the elective stuff... hence
you get a dozen of these and only one or two of those... then there's the marketplace
which pays a lot for this named degree and won't even recognize another named degree even
though that particular student might have developed much more comprehensive skills to
bring to the workplace.... what creates the power and the corresponding investment in
those particular degrees... it isn't always something logical or obvious.... more mundane
little things

interesting topic and one I've enjoyed thinking much about lately...
Sheila