Re: more Foucault stuff

At 04:17 1/08/1999 +0200, you wrote:
>>I have just completed a short paper examining Foucault's analysis of
>limits with
>>respect of the practice of a limit attitude and the construction of
>>masculinity
>
>1/ Foucault has never mentioned "masculinity"
>2/ An history of Masculinity would be a very interesting thing to do.
>3/ So instead of the 50 occurrences of "Foucault" in your paper, you'd
>better say only once: "I am going to analyze the birth of Masculinity
>using Foucault's archeological method".
>4/ That may include the analysis of several practices ;say "man of
>desire", "heroes", "competitiveness" ,"man of power","outside life" etc.
>and to be able to do that kind of analysis, you should have experienced
>the "limits" of Masculinity, thus feel the need to reproblematize this
>too usual behavior.
>
> Cordially,
> Camille Duchene
> Http://www.club-internet.fr/perso/kmille
>
>Hi Camille!

thanks for the feed back on the paper, this is just the sort of thing i was
hoping for when i posted it! With respect of your comments, whilst i agree
that a history of masculinity would be fascinating I'm sorry to report that
such a thing may well be beyond me at the moment! My PhD thesis is a much
more humble and modest creature; in short i'm more interested in applying
foucault insights re subjectification and limits to the more specific
identity/subject position of masculinity. And yes whilst Foucault does not
mention masculinity per se, feminist critics have long understood
Foucault's subject in the masculine! As such the use of foucauldian tools
in the critical deconstruction of masculinity should reveal more clearly
the manner in which a series of ontological and experiential limits are
installed within male identities, and certainly my research is moving in
this direction. In this sense, i don't know that i'm yet ready to pinpoint
the birth of masculinity; i'm more interested in its contemporary
manifestations. So more of point 4 above and a little less of point 3.
Anyway thanks for the feedback. I now must very calmly and very carefully
eviserate every single one of my downstairs neighbours for inflicting
top-40 handbag house on me at 11 o'clock at night...

why is there never a police-state handy when you need one?

cameron