Foucault and the history of law

Travis, et al.,

Foucault does return to an interest in law later in his life, though I'd be
hesitant to characterize it as a turn from sexuality to law. Much more
important (encompasing both themes, if you will) is the ethical in Foucault's
last thought. I say "return" to an interest in law, because he had touched on
related topics earlier.

As far as what is published, the first thing that I recall are the 1974
lectures that Foucault gave in Brazil (available in Dits et Ecrits), which
largely draw on his 1971 College de France lectures. He returns to similar
topics and themes in a 1981 course given at the Université Catholique de
Louvain, Faculté de Droit (the Law School), entitled "Mal faire, dire vrai.
Fonctions de l'aveu". This course is not published, but a transcript (approx.
200 pp.) is available at the Foucault Archive in Paris, document no. D201.

Foucault's interest in law here is closely linked to the dynamics of
truth-telling, focussing on the confession and its various codifications in
different sets of practices (from Homerian through Monastic and medieval law
to Sacramental practice). I hope this is helpful.

Happy New Year to everyone...

Richard
Richard A. Lynch
Department of Philosophy