Re: Power

Self-organisation is one of the primary techniques of power within the school, a
self - organisation constructed around the internalization of the appartus of
surveilance;
"The very building of the Ecole was to be an apparatus for observation; the rooms
were distributed along a corridor like a series of small cells; at regular
intervals. an officer's quaters were situated, so that 'every ten pupils had an
officer on each side'....A few decades later, Demia favoured a hierarchy of the
same type but almost all the functions of surveillance were duplicated by a
pedagogical role: an assistant teacher taught the holding of the pen, guided the
pupils hand, corrected mistakes and at the same time 'marked down trouble
makers'...A relation of surveilance, defined and regulated, is inscribed at the
heart of the practice of teaching, not as an additional or adjacent part, but as a
mechanism that is inherent to it and which increases its efficiency"(Foucault,
1991 Discipline & Punish :pp173-178)
See also how pupil behaviour was divided into two dichotomous ideal types 'good'
and 'bad' with corresponding regimes of punishments, rewards and a whole plethora
of 'correcting' techniques (p.180).
These techologies of power are of course productive in that they constructed the
whole array of hierarchicalised subjectivities which are the denizens of
educational establishments, re-produce forms of knowledge which are legitmate to
'study' etc., etc., etc.
Finally of course excams;
"The examination combines the techniques of an observing hierarchy and those of a
normalising judgement. It is a normalising gaze, a surveilance that makes it
possible to qualify, to classify and to punish. it establishes over individuals a
visibility through which one differentiates them and judges them. That is why, in
all the mechanisms of discipline, the examination is highly ritualised. In it are
combined the ceremony of power and the form of the experiment, the deployment of
force and the establishment of truth" (pp185-185).
Of course te productive aspect of power opens mulitiple sites for both new
techniques of the self and stategies of resistance - whether through reverse
discourse - reverse subjectivities, or techniques of absence, etc., etc., etc.
cheers
dave