Re: Austria

In a message dated 02/03/2000 10:46:25 AM Eastern Standard Time,
rmaclean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<<
Yes. But also, can anyone really believe that this can be schematized as a
choice between 1) "one-world government ideology" and 2) nationalist,
racist, Nazi ideology? It seems that if "postmodernity" "means" anything,
it most certainly does NOT "mean" reifying false dualisms.

I don't think so -- but even so, can't we pay attention to what folks say,
and what they stand for? and shouldn't other nations have the right to act
in concert against a perceived threat? I'm not arguing for one-world isms,
false dualism, or any other ism, but in this particular instance,
"nationalist, racist, Nazi ideology" does seem an appropriate tag. clearly
there are other places in the world where this level of viciousness holds
sway -- in central america, for example, and in bosnia -- and, after all,
europe has had the experience of nazi ideology, so it's not unreasonable that
they would be responding with some concern. if you feel the need to worry
about the effect of a mono ideology, then worry about capitalism, not about
protecting thugs who predicate their appeal on hatred and fear of other
races.....