RE: the ubuesque

At 06:51 PM 2/15/00 GMT, you wrote:

>Date: Tue, 15 Feb 2000 17:36:03 -0000
>From: "Stuart Elden" <stuart.elden@xxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: RE: the ubuesque
>
>Linda, Tom
>
>Many many thanks - I had (also) wondered if it had anything to do with the
>group Pere Ubu - now i know.

Another thing is may have to do with is Philip K. Dick's popular novel
_Ubik_ (1969).

Anyway, PKD was influenced by 'pataphysics to a certain extent (even naming
one of his characters Al Jarry in Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?,
from which the duff movie Blade Runner was made). The College of
'Pataphysics inducted PKD as a member at one time.

I know Baudrillard discusses Dick's earlier work _The Simulacra_ (1964; in
which the president is a simulacra and the country is secretly run by a
Jackie O-like First Lady), but does Foucault ever mention Philip K. Dick?
This is a serious enquiry!

best,
--
Jeremy W. Crampton http://geog.gmu.edu/gess/people/jwc.html