RE: Foucault & Derrida

Loren,
I applaud Nathan's response to your question but would like to approach it
from a different angle. The question you raise is central to the social and
textual practice of deconstruction. Deconstruction tends toward a kind of
schizophrenia in my opinion since on the one hand it senses and endorses a
historical dimension to its own production and its reverberation, if you
will, in the body politic while, on the other hand, it is trying to throw
into relief the ahistorical movement of thought and understanding which it
dreams will liberate social praxis and textual production from the bonds of
historical determinacy and conditioning. Derrida's relationship with
Heidegger I think is relevant here insofar as Derrida criticizes Heidegger
for remaining within a metaphysical frame by positing two times in Being and
Time among other aspects of Heidegger's work. But I would argue that
Derrida does "essentially" the same thing that Heidegger does, e.g. he
privileges certain texts from the tradition and uses them as literary foils
to make his arguments and develop his views. (And besides, to say there
ain't no essence don't make it so.) Heidegger seems the more Hegelian of
the two at first glance since he seems committed to the idea of historical
development and a "progress" or advancement in the field of philosophy from
one era or generation to the next. Yet Derrida is yoked or yokes himself
just as much to Hegelian projections or tendencies insofar as he is
committed to, at least, a movement or a perception of a movement which
transcends historical conditions and determinacy.
As for whether Derrida's bifurcating the origin by introducing the notions
of differance and trace and thereby rendering deconstruction metaphysical, I
think it is too facile a criticism to say that this is just another polar or
binary opposition or a clever ruse to cut in two what has always been
thought of as unitary and the source of all wholeness.
In re deconstruction shallow textual practice, I think there is a studious
"avoidance" of political matters and projecting historical necessities on
the part of deconstuctionists. Not so much because they don't think they
are there but because once stated they can always be negated or changed.
Isn't the Derridian critique of Foucaultian genealogy simply that one is
trading in, at best, ghostly figures when one talks about the origins of
values and social praxis?