Re: Deontology v. Utilitarianism

In point of fact, deontological positions are based on
adherence and duty towards binding moral laws, and
thus do refer to previously binding codes and laws.
For instance, Kant's moral theory based on the
categorical imperative, moral obligation, and duty is
a deontological moral position. Utilitarianism, by
contrast, is an ethical position insofar as it does
not presuppose a previous and binding moral obligation
to which we are to conform. Rather, the the notion of
utility is arrived at by weighing what is thought to
be the greatest utility for all. In ethical theories,
the good is always referred to some other value such
as happiness, utility, aesthetic criterion in arriving
at its principles. Deontological positions treat the
moral law itself as the highest standard, and thus
reject the notion that it is based on some other
value. Thus, in Kant, the moral law does not refer to
the Good, but rather the good is good because it
conforms to the moral law. Moreover, we adhere to the
moral law out of respect for that law, and not because
we believe that desired consequences will follow from
it. For this reason, Kant was led to claim that
concerns about happiness and pleasure are secondary to
being moral and can even render our moral actions
suspect. Kant was driven so far in this consideration
that he claimed that ideally our actions cannot be
moral unless we don't enjoy submitting to the moral
law.

Paul Bryant
Department of Philosophy
Loyola University of Chicago