Re: Foucault and education

Adam,

There a widening array of scholars interested in educational policy from a
foucauldian perspective. I think the more innovative ones (aside from the
S. Ball stuff) has to be that of Popkewitz, T., in America, and Marginson,
S., in Australia.

Some of the more direct references of Popkewitz are:
Thomas S. Popkewitz (1991). A Political Sociology Of Educational Reform :
Power/Knowledge In Teaching, Teacher Education, And Reform.

Thomas S. Popkewitz And Marie Brennan (eds.)(1998). Foucault's
Challenge : Discourse, Knowledge, And Power In Education .

Thomas S. Popkewitz And Lynn Fendler (eds.)(1999). Critical Theories In
Education : Changing Terrains Of Knowledge And Politics.

The last quote braches out into a broader 'social epistemology' of
education reform, influenced by the wider french philosophy of science, and
-- implicitly -- the ideas of Steve Fuller.

Simons Marginson's project is exemplified by two books that he completed in
1997. They are:

Simon Marginson (1997). Educating Australia : government, economy and
citizen since 1960. Cambridge ; Melbourne : Cambridge University Press.

Simon Marginson (1997). Markets in education. St. Leonards, N.S.W. : Allen
& Unwin

Hope that this is of some use:
Shaun

At 20:58 04/03/00 +0200, you wrote:
>Hello,
>Is anyone familiar with work that has been done applying Foucaults ideas
about
>power to education and school reform? Did Foucault address the topic
(aside from
>Discipline and Punish)? Any thoughts?
>Thanks,
>Adam Lefstein
>Tel-Aviv, Israel

Shaun Rawolle
Doctoral Candidate

Graduate School of Education
Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences
The University of Queensland

Phone: 07 3365 6234