SV: History of...

Maybe this has been discussed before, but anyway,
I wonder if you see genealogy as a kind of "counter-history" to a more
canonical/encyclopedic/traditional view on history; that is an alternative
history to both _the_ History, as one great narrative, and more regional
histories about the progress of a scientific discipline, an institution, a
way of behavior etc.? Another way to put the question is, could we only
operate with different kinds of genealogies, or is a genealogical inquiry
dependent on (and maybe mutually interdependent with) an
all-ready-taken-for-granted history which it can oppose?
I myself regard genealogy as an history of problematizations, since it
doesn´t explain how historical changes appear (from one episteme or
"dispositif" to another), and never emphasize itself as a kind of
storytelling which tells what "actually happened" behind what we take as a
truth. It rather stresses itself as a possible history behind a phenomenon
(a practice, a belief, an institution etc.), a history which traces the
descents (Herkunft) which constitutes an object of knowledge as we know it
today. The object of knowledge (or a practice) investigated, is itself put
forward as an diagnosis of a particular contemporary condition, not as an
selfevidently fact. In that way genealogy can avoid establishing a
historical truth behind a phenomeneon, but only make a fruitful
problematization of a phenomenon taken for granted.
Anybody got any comments?

Morten Lyngeng