Re: foucault-digest V2 #303

Sam,

Foucault does take up Goethe's Faust at two points in his later College de
France lectures.

One is in 1982 (lecture 8, 24 february), where he is talking about how a
certain savoir de spiritualite that we can see in Seneca and Marcus Aurelius
has been masked/covered over by a savoir de connaissance in the 16th and 17th
Centuries. Faust is here given as an example of this tension/process.

The other, and I think this is the more jejeune citation for your concerns, is
in 1984 (lecture 6, 7 march). Here, Foucault is looking at Goethe's Faust as
a hero analogous to the ancient Cynic practices of making one's life a "true
life". He says that the figure of Faust is then replaced in the 19th Century
by the "revolutionary." I quote from my notes:

Faust represents the legend of the philosophical life as heroic, as
ethical,
with all the sedimentation of its tradition through the centuries. And the
legend is then displaced from the philosophical field to the political
field
in the form of the revolutionary life: Exit Faust and enter the
revolutionary figure (le revolutionaire).

Though Foucault does not make the connections between these Romantic figures
and the ethics of self-fashioning as explicit as we would like, the links are
clearly there to be drawn and elaborated upon. I hope this is helpful; have
fun with this project...

Richard
Richard A. Lynch
Department of Philosophy