more romantic heroics

Richard:

Thanks for the tip! this all sounds very interesting: I'll check these sources
and see what I can come up with.

As i understand it, the romantic hero/artist did two things: he/she invoked a
disafilliation from the modern present (as a corrupt epoch, tarnished and
fragmentedby modern technology, instrumental rationality, etc), but also the
romantic subject projected an imaginary affiliation with a remote past, or a
remote future, where the fragmented subject (divided between passions and reason)
was resolved into teh heroic character.

I guess these are pretty routine comments on romanticism, but I think it is
possible to relate the romantic, imaginary quest for an integrated heroic subject
to a mode of "ethical work" in the sense that foucault discussed in History of
sexuality II & III. To say that the romantic concept of the authentic, heroic
self involved, not just an imaginary withdrawal from modern rationality (into the
personal, the production of art, etc) but an active work on oneself in the course
of a lived life with others. In short, I'm trying to say that what the Romantics
did in the imagination, and what Foucault's ancient ethicists did in practice,
were not so distinct, that there may be cases where the two overlapped.
(specifically, I'm writing on the counterculture of the 1960's, but that's
another story).

I guess what I have to decide is: how much of this is my fudging foucault to fit
my agenda, and how much of it is in foucault's texts, undeveloped, as richard
says.

in any case, thanks for letting me unload this.

sb

--

Sam Binkley
Department of Sociology, New School University
65 Fifth Avenue, New York, NY 10003

Address: PO Box 20202, New York, NY 10009
phone: (212) 420 9425 web: http://www.thing.net/~sbinkley/