History of contingencies

Kia ora koutou (Hello all),

I have been subscribed to this list for a few months now, and
have thoroughly enjoyed the contributions made by the members.
I am also a member of the HOP-L network as well.

After reading "Using Foucault's method", by Gary Wickham and
Gavin Kendall (1999), I have become increasingly interested in the role
contingency has to play in bringing us to this "present" moment
in time. Obviously, I am not advocating that everything is
contingency, there are hegemonic processess as well which have become
embedded in our society for whatever reason, that need to be recognized.

Since it has been the goal of the sciences to reduce chance, I
wonder what this type of thinking would promote. That is, the
type of thinking that recognizes how chance occurances have
enabled us to enter into the subject positions available in society,
for example, the chance of our parents meeting, and the inheritance gained,
or, the chance of our genetics which endow us with material advantage
according to the material knowledge and practises available, etc.

Any thoughts and suggested reading? As an advocate of (post-) Foucauldian
works,
postmodernism, feminism, masculinity, indigenous studies, and social
construction,
I am fascinated with the issues surrounding contingency's relationship with
knowledge,
reality, power, discourse, and the subject.

Ka kite (bye for now), Jody.