Re: Can Postmodernism Survive?

On Sat, 20 May 2000 JBCM2@xxxxxxx wrote:

> as you can see from the awkward nature of my questions I'm not a
> philosopher.

Whatever you say, Socrates ;).

> as diogenes might have said, "plato, there is truth, and then there is
> truth."

Aye, there's the rub. First we have to know what kind of truth we're
talking about. One odd thing about debates of this sort is that the people
who say there is no truth are usually assuming a correspondence theory of
truth which, if asked, they would say is a bad theory of truth. But if
it's a bad theory of truth, then truth must *be* something else, so they
must not actually believe that there is no truth!

> for (the most obvious) example, there is death.

And, as they say, 2+2=4, even for very large values of 2.

Matthew

---Matthew A. King---Department of Philosophy---York University, Toronto---
Dance me to your beauty with a burning violin
Dance me through the panic till I'm gathered safely in