Re: Can Postmodernism Survive? (fwd)

I enthusiastically endorse the comments made below -- what they do is focus
on what I think is the actual question: not whether or not the
antipostmodernists have anything to say, but rather what motivates their
attacks.

I think it is an archaic debate -- but that doesn't mean it isn't playing a
significant political role.

-- John

On Fri, 19 May 2000 15:04:42 EDT, foucault@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> This discussion reminded me of Wittgenstein's, Heidegger's, Husserl's,
> Rorty's and Quine's work. I mean, haven't there been many
twentieth-century
> attempts at universalist, positivist epistemological formulations? Isn't
this
> an obsolete, archaic debate?
> Hasn't this attempt to salvage an essentialist, universalist,
positivist
> epistemological scheme has already been attempted, over and over again?
For
> example, Husserl's phenomenological work began with a Cartesian, Kantian
> attempt at an objective method of epistemological bracketing, but
resulted in
> failure, in an ex post facto classification of consciousness.
Wittgenstein,