postmodernism and agency

In the last week a post stated that we should ask not what posmodernism is,
but what it does, that is, postmodernism is an integral weapon against
western colonization/imperialism--I believe this is approximate with the
post.

While I understand how this works as far as the elimination of hierarchies,
I'm uncertain that postmodernism does not do as much harm as good: 1)
postmodernism originates in the West and therefore can be seen as another
form of imperialism. 2) It seems to me that the central tenets of
postmodernism, while questioning Western imperialism, also question any
third world culture's own hierarchies. Postmodernism may free the colonized,
but it also destroys one of the basic ingredients of any culture,
ethnocentrism. In the face of Hollywood's takeover of the world, shouldn't
we be more interested in preserving cultural difference?

I'd appreciate any thoughts on this off list or otherwise. Thanks,

Todd Comer