Re: On Governmentality

Maria,

Laura Stoller's _Race and the Education of Desire_ has some useful (and
often infuriating) criticisms to make about Foucault's relationship to the
third world.

There is a (very brief) discussion of human rights in my 'Divide and
govern: governmental aspects of the modern states system', which has juist
been published in R. Ericson, & N. Stehr (Eds.), _Governing Modern
Societies_ Toronto: University of Toronto Press. I'd appreciate your
comments.

best wishes,

barry

>Hi,
>I'm a danish master student, present doing my master degree on
>Governmentality and Human Rights: My approach is on governmental agencies
>way of using different human rights and democracies conditions in their
>relationsship with the 3. world.
>
>In the analysis of this aspect, the later work of Foucault is to be used. I
>have read most of the later work of Foucault and is attentive to the work
>of such writters as Nicolas Rose and Colin Gordon on the aspects of
>governmentality.
>
>But I would be very gratefull if anyone could help me with references if
>any concerning Governmentality, Human Rights and the 3. World or something
>which could be interessting for my approach. Since I am present living in
>Paris and have access to the Michel Foucalut Center the references could
>also be from conferences or non-published papers available at the center.
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Maria Blankensteiner

Barry Hindess <b.hindess@xxxxxxxxxx>
Political Science Program
The Research School of Social Sciences
Australian National University,
Canberra, ACT 0200
Telephone (02) 6249 2120; FAX No (02) 6249 3051