Re: Discursive Formations

In a message dated 8/30/2000 12:13:36 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
rhizome85@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Today I was sitting in a physics class and the instructor mentioned that
the
> French changed to the metric system after the French Revolution because
they
> associated the English system with the monarchy. Seems applicable in that
the
> French viewed systems of measurement as contingent on power structures, and
> in that the event itself demonstrates the way shifting power structures
alter
> scientific discourse in a significant (albeit fairly inconsequential) way.

There is no doubt that "measurement" is associated with the double problem of
'state interests vs. local interests.' Take for example, measurement as
assessment in education, psychiatry, the military. There is an interesting
book out named, "Seeing like a State." It recounts the history of the state
taking over measurement in various ways. Well worth the read.

Vunch