Canon

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C01827.E9531020

Quick thought.

We know that Foucault was suspicious of both the idea of a State and of =
an Opposition. A few friends of mine and I have applied Foucault's =
reading to philosophical thought. We've started an informal philosophy =
discussion group that, rather than discussing readings from the canon =
(or even the anti-canon, like Foucault, Deleuze, Lyotard, etc.) we're =
going to be discussing ideas from outside the system of anti-canon and =
canon, such as Tibetan philosophy, etc. We hope it will allow us to =
develop a more profound philosophical autonomy from the whole canonical =
system (as in the canon-anti-canon binary).

On a separate note, the object of the club is for us to all get =
postmodern vertigo. The faculty member sponsoring the club once engaged =
in nearly a week of discussion of the idea of time with a friend. He was =
rather disoriented for two weeks afterward.

Sadly, the club is, at this point, entirely composed of men. Can anyone =
think of a few (preferably very short) texts or excerpts from texts that =
might make for some interesting reading? It doesn't necessarily have to =
be non-Western philosophy (or even necessarily =
non-canon-or-anti-canon)--at this point we're all brainstorming.

Thanks :)

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C01827.E9531020

<HTML><HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Quick thought.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>We know that Foucault was suspicious of both the =
idea of a=20
State and of an Opposition.&nbsp;A few friends of mine and I have =
applied=20
Foucault's reading to philosophical thought.&nbsp;We've started an =
informal=20
philosophy discussion group that, rather than discussing readings from =
the canon=20
(or even the anti-canon, like Foucault, Deleuze, Lyotard, etc.) we're =
going to=20
be discussing ideas from outside the&nbsp;system of anti-canon and =
canon, such=20
as Tibetan philosophy, etc. We hope it will allow us to develop a more =
profound=20
philosophical autonomy from the whole canonical system (as in the=20
canon-anti-canon binary).</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>On a separate note, the object of the club is =
for us to=20
all get postmodern vertigo. The faculty member sponsoring the club once =
engaged=20
in nearly a week of discussion of the idea of time with a friend. He=20
was&nbsp;rather disoriented for two weeks afterward.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Sadly, the club is, at this point, entirely =
composed of=20
men. Can anyone think of a few (preferably very short) texts or excerpts =
from=20
texts that might make for some interesting reading? It doesn't =
necessarily have=20
to be non-Western philosophy (or even necessarily =
non-canon-or-anti-canon)--at=20
this point we're all brainstorming.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial></FONT>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial>Thanks :)</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_0007_01C01827.E9531020--