Re: hey what is up with this list

Okay, I'll take a shot?

I've been on this list for several years (slipping into long periods of
inaction), and I'm writing a dissertation which uses Foucault;s later writing
on ethics and the care of the self. In short, I'm writing a
historical-sociology of countercultural consumer texts in the late 60's and
70's (a genre I call "aquarian consumerism") which described a mode of
ethical life premised on holistic, ecological principles. These texts, like
those of the Ancient ethical practitioners Foucault analyses, wove a culture
of ethical self cultivation through exhortation and advice.

My question for the list is: can anyone recommend a secondary text on
Foucault's later ethical writings which relates his interpretive method to
more standard interpretive approaches to the study of texts. Specifically,
how do theorists (literary, ethnograhic...?) understand narrative texts which
set the reader in an ethical relation to himself? Is there a "reader" in this
sense?

Hopefully this will spice things up a bit!

thanks

sb

--

Sam Binkley
Doctoral Candidate in Sociology, New School University
Visiting Professor of Sociology, SUNY Purchase

Mail: PO Box 20202 New York, NY 10009
Phone: (212) 420 9425
Office: (914) 251-6620
Web: http://www.thing.net/~sbinkley/