Re: hs v1

On Sun, 17 Dec 2000, Chris Jones wrote:

> To put it bluntly and by way of example: sports like rugby
> were introduced to and made compulsory in the elite boys public
> schools in England in the 19th Century to stop the boys buggering
> each other.

For all I know, this may be true. But my reading of Foucault fuels a
concern about the sexual (re)interpretation of things ranging from sports
to Boy Scouts (which are having an awful time recruiting leaders in some
places for that reason) to teaching--an interpretation which, perhaps even
more worryingly, might produce a sexualization of those activities in
practice.

Matthew

---Matthew A. King---Department of Philosophy---York University, Toronto---
"It was in the barbarous, gothic times when words had a meaning;
in those days, writers expressed thoughts."