RE: background of F's life and times

Hi Clare

Among many books in my bibliography/course lists, these seem the most
relevant to what you want (excluding the very obvious)

James Bernauer, Michel Foucault's Force of Flight: Towards an Ethics of
Thought, Atlantic Highlands, N.J.: Humanities Press, 1990.
Arnold I Davidson, (ed.), Foucault and his Interlocutors, Chicago:
University of Chicago Press, 1997.
Mitchell Dean, Critical and Effective Histories: Foucault's Methods and
Historical Sociology, London: Routledge, 1994.
Dominique Lecourt, Marxism and Epistemology: Bachelard, Canguilhem,
Foucault, translated by Ben Brewster, London: NLB, 1975
Gary Gutting, Michel Foucault?s Archaeology of Scientific Reason, Cambridge:
Cambridge University Press, 1994.

I especially like Bernauer and Gutting

Then there is almost certainly stuff of use in Barry Smart (ed.), Michel
Foucault (1) Critical Assessments, London: Routledge, Three Volumes, 1994;
Michel Foucault (2) Critical Assessments, London: Routledge, Four Volumes,
1995.

If your students can read French then Eribon's other book (not the
biography) is

Didier Eribon, Michel Foucault et ses contemporains, Paris: Fayard, 1994.

And forthcoming allegedly in August is

Alan Rosenberg & Alan Milchman (eds.), Foucault and Heidegger: Critical
Encounters, Minneapolis: University of Minnesota Press, 2001.

Hope there's something useful here

Best wishes

Stuart

Dr Stuart Elden
Lecturer in Politics
Department of Politics and International Studies
University of Warwick
Coventry
CV4 7AL, UK

+44 (0)2476 523303