Re: Power and the Subject

(coming off of Asher's last mail)

The problem is that, if you aknowlage determinism there are two
implications:

1. Any ethical system is rendered null and void. If "...you are not
constructing yourself, but being constructed..." there can never be
an ought, only an is. I either will or will not create myself as a
work of art, I can't change anything.

2. Foucault's, your, my, and every other person's ideas are worthless.
Power is simply creating Foucault and his ideas. Their are necessarily
untrue (in the modernist logical sense, not the postmodern sense of
knowlage/power). It is the ultimate in nihilist self destruction. Every-
thing I do or don't do is a contradiction. Why should I still breath?
Why shouldn't I?

Ultimately I think (I'm not sure if this is what F. said or not this is
my own thought on the matter) that there has to be Kantian autonomy. I
think that F. ideas are also generally true because men lack the
strength of will to reject norms and conventional belief. People's tend
to be determined by society because they are weak and lack the will to
commit true intellectual rebellion.