Gendered language and Re: Power and the Subject

on 1/30/01 4:45 PM, Bryan C at kirk728@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> The subject emmerges concurrent with, not as a result of power
> relations. The subject contains the ability to choose between
> alternatives and to reshape norms, though his ability to do so is
> somewhat constrained by the degree to which he is constructed.

Will you please take note of the pronouns that you use and not use "his" to
reference a universal subject. Such gendered references are at the very
least potentially exclusive and dangerous and it seems like a simple effort
on the part of individuals to select other referents.

> I have only one remaining question that I cannot answer seem to
> find an answer for. If agency is born of power relations and
> absent power relations we are just a shell, how did power
> relations arise in the first place. Surely no control and resistance
> goes on between two rocks.

Questions of metaphysics so not seem to be so much relevant, but I think
Foucault does provide an answer. Power relations have always (and will
always) exist in some form. There is no outside to power. Power, however,
transforms (is transformed and transforms others). Forms of power change.

> Is it F's position that outside of society we live with nothing but
> instinct as would any other animal? And if so, why have we not
> seen the rise of free will in other animals?

Who says that we haven't? The presumption seems rather arrogant. And how are
"we" different than other animals, fundamentally, anyway? Because we can
kill more efficiently?

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartmouth 2004