Re: Foucault and sex (Fist-Fucking)

on 1/31/01 1:06 PM, Doug Stokes at dstokes14@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Also
> interesting is the use of violent sexualised language in response to
> queries. For example, the reference to Marx screwing sheep and Asher Haig
> talking about fist fucking.
>
> To stay on subject and keep with the theme, I wonder how much Foucault's
> well documented sexual experimentation (bondage, sado-masochism, sauna sex
> etc) fed into his general world view. Especially when we consider his views
> of the body as loci of resistance and power (bio-power). Any thoughts?

Much to the contrary I don't think that "fist-fucking" is a use of violent
language, but instead a reference to a term of art (figuratively and in
Foucault's sense, literally). I think that it is an important note when
considering whether Foucault's discussion of sexual experimentation (the
creation of the self - one example being fist-fucking) is a "bourgeois
practice."

On the other hand, if it is violent language, perhaps that is part of what
may be necessary in the care of the self? Fist-fucking is not violent in the
traditional sense, but violent (potentially) in the manner that it subverts
traditional pathologies of sex and acceptability.

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartmouth 2004