Re: Foucault and sex

In a message dated 1/31/01 6:21:30 PM Eastern Standard Time,
kirk728@xxxxxxxxxxx writes:

> A debate team indicted F by
> saying he was a pedaphile. I think they were just misinterpreting F's
> study of pediatry in Greek and Roman culture, but I was wondering if it
> was true. Its a stupid argument but I am curious about it.

In as much as I wold like to distinguish between the man and his work,
Charles Taylor makes a devastating argument condemning Foucault on the basis
of his moral-aesthetic position. Foucault was an actively practicing
homosexual and so I would imagine, vaguely, that for him anything goes. But,
Foucault did claim that resistance entailed the position of being against
heterosexuality. Taylor remarks strongly that this position can hardly be
received as logical or acceptable to most people given the essentialist
situation that we are confronted with in terms of Being.
Taylor also takes up a Kantian position about Foucault: what if everyone
believed the same thing? On this ground, this position of Foucault's would
rejected. Anyway, I do not confuse Foucault particular argument about sex
roles with his theoretical arguments or his research. he probably said these
things in an interview in a particularly local situation!!

Vunch