Re: Is Juan Cruz a Homosexual himself? - homophobia

C'est un message de format MIME en plusieurs parties.

------=_NextPart_000_0177_01C08CC2.9AA320E0

Bryan,=20

Ok, here's an argument: Juan says he "hates homosexuals". What is he =
actually saying? He hates (dislikes, is repelled by, despises) all =
individuals within a category he labels "homosexuals". There are two =
major problems here.=20

1. The category: Who is a homosexual? Somebody who has sexual relations =
with people from the same sex? or the same gender? what is a sexual =
relation? are we talking about attraction or does the individual need to =
have sexual intercourse in order to be a member of Juan's category? if =
so, what kind of sexual intercourse and to what extent? My point is that =
we are all constituted and constitute ourselves within a sexual field =
(forgive the spacial analogy) which is not bipolar and even if it were =
bipolar, who would decide on the cutoff point. But Juan feels authorised =
- or rather authorises himself - to unilaterally equalise the =
irreductible difference and singularity to a point where he feels =
confident to create the category of "homosexuals". This is a fairly =
violent operation by which he reduces difference to sameness. Juan =
creates a subjectivity which is based on a sexual behaviour, even worse, =
Juan's own hallucination of the sexual behaviour of the people he =
objectifies.

2. Hatred: Juan "hates". Juan's hatred denies every member of his =
category his respect for their choice (or constitution). He negates =
their subjectivity which he himself created. Declaring himself to be the =
universal judge on categories, he denies every member of his category =
the very subjectivity he performatively sollicits for himself. But =
hatred is more than that, it stems from an aggression Juan harbours =
against that which is different from himself, which is different and he =
turns into radical otherness.

Now of course, you're going to say that I haven't provided you with an =
argument of why it is WRONG. Well, there is simply no theoretically =
sound deduction that would sustain the wrongness of Juan's aggression. =
Of course one could call on norms and argue that Juan is not behaving in =
correspondance with our contemporary social norms, but then you would =
rightly ask whether in this case it would have been "right" to be a Nazi =
in Germany between 1933 and 1945. The question here, again, is not about =
RIGHT or WRONG in an absolute sense, nor of some kind of validity, but =
one of a personal ethics. The only thing we can do is showing the =
intolerance and absurdity in Juan's judgement and this is exactly the =
function of critique.

Yves

----- Original Message -----=20