Re: escaping the private...

on 4/10/01 6:58 PM, Nathan Goralnik at rhizome85@xxxxxxxx wrote:

> You sound like Rorty here. In the autobiographical section of "Philosophy
> and Social Hope," he criticizes the idea "that the test of philosophical
> truth [is] overall coherence, rather than deducibility from unquestioned
> first principles" (10). Rorty also says on many occasions that theory is a
> toolbox. What's your problem with him?
>
> ~Nate

The idea of "unquestioned first principles" is one problem.

Most other problems lie in his nationalism and the way he uses
public/private divisions in order to justify liberalism (and thus that
nationalism) as well as hide from any criticism.

My arguments above were a response to the defense of Rorty, not to Rorty.

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartmouth 2004

"We're concerned about AIDS inside our White House ? make no mistake about
it." -- Bush