Re: So what do writers express today?

Peter,

I was wondering if you might explain what it is about "feminism" that is so irksome
to you. The fact that the word ends with "ism" cannot be the only reason, as you
so easily attach yourself to realism and relativism (the interesting "ismbook" site
to which you linked does not, by the way, include an entry on feminism). What
makes these two "isms" more respectable? Is it their attachment to the world of
abstract ideas rather than the world of specific material and social relations?
What makes feminism necessarily a "gender 'blanket theory' of truth"? An
interesting phrase: do not relativism and (especially) realism claim particular and
perhaps problematic relations with the "truth"? And why shouldn't gender
"supervene" into our conversations about epistemology or metaphysics (or at least
enter into them)? Weren't the systems of thought under discussion here--and all
epistemological or metaphysical concepts--entered into within specifically gendered
social domains? How might we think about the ways gender relations/meanings
interpenetrate philosophical concepts? Wouldn't an understanding of systems of
thought be impoverished without an understanding of the mechanisms of the society
in question? Or less functionally, don't systems of thought pertain to our
understanding of social relations as much as an abstract realm of ideas? Is there
an abstract realm of ideas that can be separated from relations of power? Perhaps
also we should be somewhat specific about which thinkers or styles of thought fall
under the rubric "feminism" for the purposes of your discussion.

One banal point as well. Although you are quite right to point out differences
between Foucault and Deleuze's work, they did share a certain intellectual
camaraderie. Not that he contradicts you, but I might share a passage from an
interview with Deleuze after the publication of his volume on Foucault: "I do think
there are a lot of parallels between our work [Deleuze refers here to his
collaborations with Guattari] and his [Foucault's], although they're kept apart, as
it were, by their widely differing methods, and purposes even. This makes the
parallel all the more important to me, invaluable; there was something more than a
common purpose, there was a common cause." (Negotiations, 85). One of the elements
that made up this "common cause" between Foucault and Deleuze was a certain
political engagement, and a sense that philosophy, however rigorous it might aspire
to be, cannot and must not divorce itself from an understanding of the social and
power relations within which it is produced. Both Deleuze and Foucault were active
in the Prison Information Group, in theorizations of the gay liberation movement,
in the political elaborations following May '68, in social movements generally;
included in this was a general sympathy for the projects of certain versions of
"feminism"--what Deleuze tends to call "Women's Lib." To say the least, later
feminists have also found their work to be inspirational as philosophy *and* as
politics. (Hence the original question inquiring about the rich tradition of
feminists putting Foucault's thought to use.)

Thanks,
Rob