Re: So what do writers express today?

on 4/16/01 10:19 AM, Rebecca Moskow at rmoskow@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

>> Can you shortly explain whats the critics of the
>> fiminsm on Foucault?

Most of the feminist criticism that I've seen is a criticism of Foucault's
rejection of continuous history - ie the idea that History has breaks and is
a product of power. Some feminists claim that rejecting continuous history
denies the ability to contextualize oppression or see the origins of
oppression. This seems to be a relatively facile reading of Foucault's
notion of history (particularly given his notion of genealogy, especially as
laid out in Nietzsche, Genealogy, History). It also seems to ignore some
points Foucault might make as far as how oppression is always established
also in the present (ie we aren't rejecting historical oppression but must
recognize that it continues for a reason, not just because people have not
taken action to stop it). In this sense, oppression exists as well through
the subject categories/positions that are established in society.

---

Asher Haig ahaig@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Dartmouth 2004

"Natural gas is hemispheric. I like to call it hemispheric in nature because
it is a product that we can find in our neighborhoods."

-- Bush, Austin, Texas, Dec. 20, 2000