Re: Foucault and pragmatism, q&a

this thread of thought is interesting to me, but has probably been repeated
many times in several places. i'm wondering how most people approach this
criticism. for example, why is this question so often asked about certain
theorists and not others? (i.e., re: political utility)

also, what is the function of a theoretical discourse (or rhetoric, in the
sense of burke) which relies less on persuasion and more on identification?
if these discourses work to create an orientation (or re-orient), can they
be considered negligible? how could one even measure their effect?

-sg.