Re: Foucault and pragmatism, q&a

rhizome85@xxxxxxxx writes:

> Here I would suggest that the denaturalization of practices like sexuality
> opens up a space of possibilities in which we can conceive new self
relations
> to our own sexualities otherwise. As such, the denaturalization of
sexuality
> opens a free space for new forms of practices. What these practices might
be
> we cannot say in advance because they themselves must be brought into being
> through actual practice and engagement...

I think we can say what these practices might be if we take a closer look at
the forms of social relationship between individuals and juxtapose them with
partially causal influences. The predominant paradigm or form of life within
a cultural context is most definitely affected by economic arrangements as
well as technological expertise. In our current global context, these
factors are obviously overwhelming any essentialist understanding of social
relationships. By noting, the changing occupational structure in the West,
more and more women are entering the workforce, and the impact of technology
upon the third world, amniocentesis and abortion for controlling populations
(just to state two of several examples), we can easily notice a sharply
changing social horizon. As divorce and fertility controls through
contraception increase the number of single family households, not too
mention several other factors that also increase the choice for single
parenting mostly by females, heterosexual relationships take a notable change
away from both
traditional family practices as well as from any relativistically
self-contained notions of reproductive practices in terms of mate selection.
The multicultural, multiracial context may well turn towards increasing
diversity of reproductive partners.

Vunch